Environment - Agile Modeling Walls and Supplies
Revision as of 10:58, 24 December 2008 by Dnunn
THIS IS CRITICAL TO FOLLOW EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED. THESE WALL REQUIREMENTS ARE UNUSUAL, BUT MUST BE MET. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL MEAN THE WORKSHOP MUST BE POSTPONED BECAUSE THESE WALL AREAS ARE A KEY TOOL OF THE WORKSHOP.
This is a hands-on workshop in which students spend significant time in small teams of 3 or 4 at LARGE “whiteboard” areas, doing agile modeling work. e.g., if 16 students, 4 teams. Thus, a prime need is a room with these qualities:
Very large “whiteboard” areas as described below. THIS IS NOT AN OPTION; THE WORKSHOP CAN’T RUN UNLESS THIS IS SATISFIED.
- For each team, TWO large (each is approximately 1 meter x 3-4 meter; 4 foot x 8+ foot) whiteboards or whiteboard areas (see next). i.e., 6-8 meters (16-18 feet) for each team. Therefore, if 16 people (4 teams of 4), then a total of 24-32 meters (52-70 feet) of whiteboard-like space.
- Or, lots of equivalent sized open wall space to cover the walls with “write-on cling sheets” that create a temporary whiteboard (see Purchasing Cling Sheets below for details). These special thin plastic sheets have a static cling that makes them stick to walls (and glass) and can be used to wallpaper large areas, creating temporary “whiteboards”.
- Or, a combination of the above to achieve the goal; e.g., 1 large whiteboard + 8 feet of wall space with cling sheets for each team.
Since the walls are of prime importance, a room with many tables touching the walls (making wall access awkward) or un-removable art or posters is not suitable.
The walls may be unadorned plain paint, wallpaper or glass, but not cloth, so that the cling sheets (if there are not giant whiteboard) will cling and can be written upon.
The room needs to be relatively large; each team is using lots of wall space. Rooms with large glass windows representing a wall are OK, as the cling sheets can cling to glass.
The students spend a considerable amount of time drawing design diagrams on the whiteboards. They will need:
- 4 packs (total) of of new dry erase markers (preferably 4 or 5 colors per pack)
- 4 whiteboard erasers (total)
Purchasing Cling Sheets
If no whiteboards or insufficient whiteboards, then 4 packages of “Write-On Cling Sheets” by Avery or National Brand, or equivalent (in Europe, “Magic-Chart” by LegaMaster is a common brand, though there are others); These are available at most office supply stores, or can be ordered over the Web.
If insufficient whiteboards, then please pay attention to getting the Cling Sheets. THESE MAY TAKE AWHILE TO FIND, SO SEARCH EARLY.
Purchase one package of Cling-Sheets for each team (for example, for a 16 student class, buy 4 packages).